Sunday, March 9, 2008

Vista Woes

Ok, I have to admit that I like the whiz-bang eye candy of Vista. Well, I'm not really that shallow. I have been able to make Vista work properly for me, so I can enjoy the eye-candy with a clear conscience.
Until yesterday that is...
I use Firefox. Its simple, and it works. And it had tabs long before IE did.
But It started crashing on me yesterday. It got so bad that it would crash on startup, and not even paint the main window.
I tried cleaning the cache because Avast was complaining about not being able to scan something in the cache just before Firefox crashed. That didn't help.
I tried removing and installing Firefox. That didn't help.
I tried telling Vista to verify the integrity of its system files by running sfc /scannow. That didn't help.
I was starting to get worried because I didn't want to have to clobber my machine and reinstall the world. If that happened, I would be re-thinking a Vista install.
This morning I thought I would attempt the re-install, but make sure a thorough unintsall happened. After uninstalling Firefox, I removed ANY Mozilla directories I could find, and removed any Mozilla registry entries. Then I installed Firefox again. Success!!

I think a registry issue was the culprit here, but the lesson is 'if a re and re of the app doesn't solve the problem, make SURE that the application is totally removed before reinstalling'.
After writing this, I'm not sure if this is a Vista woe, or a Firefox woe. No, I think its Vista since I believe the registry was the issue, and the same version of Firefox has been giving me zero troubles on my Xp laptop.

No comments: