Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Garmin 330 Map Upgrade

I was excited to read about the City Navigator NT 2008 map upgrade for my Streetpilot 330.
We love our Garmin, but found that a lot of newer 'points of interest' are not in the original maps. I ordered it right away.

When the disk finally arrived, I dug out the laptop, the tiny USB cable, and the Garmin. Unfortunately, the update has so much data that I could not put all of north america on the internal memory. Crap. I aborted the install, and looked for a solution.

I like to drive. That's why we got the Garmin. We have driven to Florida a few times, and we have driven to Las Vegas. I don't want to be limited to just the northern states, or just the southern states.

The 330 has a secure digital slot in the side for extra maps, so I wondered if I could just pop a card in there and be able to load everything. GpsPasSion.com had the answer. Apparently, I could do this, but I could not use the autorun install from the NT 2008 maps DVD.

After popping the new 2gig SD card into the 330, I connected it to my laptop and fired everything up. I installed the newest Mapsource Version from the NT 2008 Update DVD in folder \Windows\MSI\CNNANT2008Update_ENU.msi.

Once this was installed, I could use the MapInstall application to install all of the north american maps directly to my 330, and I have space to spare.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=95792

No comments: